Top Social

Lucy's Story...

September 5, 2014
It felt so good to be able to share our story, Lucy's story, for the Help our Kids Radiothon at AI today.  We LOVE to talk about Lucy!  We had fun giving live interviews to several of the radio stations broadcasting from the hospital cafeteria this afternoon.  Our kids were given a lot of "air time" and had a beautiful opportunity to share their Lucy stories and what is in their hearts.  Our family was there during "crunch time", the energy in the cafeteria was palpable. When we arrived at 3:30 this afternoon the total donations raised were $144,000, impressive, right!  By 6:00pm the final tally was $257,753!

I was given permission to share "Lucy's Story" that was created for the Help Our Kids Radiothon here...

(Warning - you might want to have some tissues available to you when you listen;)



There was a second version of "Lucy's Story" created for the Radiothon that includes the kids and Drew...


Post Comment
charity said...

amazing and heartfelt.

Lindsey M. said...

Hello :-)
My name is Lindsey and I found your blog through a Facebook post about a year ago. It's Delaware...we all know each other somehow!
I've been wanting to contact you and thank you for your blog, but I know it is a little strange as I have never met you! Your family has been very influential in my life since reading your blog. I teach very young children with disabilities, though I have no children of my own. Reading your blog, your updates, has not only impacted my knowledge of mitochondrial disease, but of families who have special needs children. Pouring your heart out onto this blog has helped me understand the families I work with. I find that knowing of your struggles as a parent of a child with special needs, I find myself changing how I work with the families in my job. Caring is always a part of my work, but I can't really explain how knowing Lucy, through your blog, has brought that care to a whole other level. Your blog has taught me so much. I have a child who wears a mitochondrial disease awareness shirt to class once in a while, and I always think of Lucy. I wish I could have known her. I wanted to finally sit down and write to you, thanking you for sharing Lucy's story and to somehow let you know how much she has impacted my teaching, and thus, the children I work with, their families... her influence has spread quite far :-) Thank you.